Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Frustrations

It's no secret that I am trying to train for a 10k.
IN fact I probably talk about it more than I should.
With that being said, here's me talking about it again.

I am having THE HARDEST time with my training. I am not a runner by trade. In fact I have never really run before in my life. I played soccer when I was little, and I swam a lot but I have never been trained as a runner or was never inspired to go out and run 5 miles.
So this is all new to me. I thought after I laid down my $100 bucks for running shoes that I could simply strap them on and begin running. Silly me.
My first injury was shin splints. Painful but after a couple days off I was over it. Next came the most horrible excruciating pain on the inside of my right knee. I took a couple days off-laid low, eased back into running hoping to be rid of it but no such luck. Pain the minute I start running.
I hurried to the nearest Gazelle Sports and see what they had to say. "Buy these $50 dollar orthodics" (sp?), I was told. Sold!
At first (yesterday) I was totally fine. In fact I felt great! I was running fast, it was easy and I didn't feel tired or achy at all.
BOOM! Today hit. I drove over to East to run with my sister-in-law. I felt fine walking/warming up but the minute we began running I knew it was over. We probably ran for 3 minutes? and I was done. BOTH of my knees killed. Literally the worst pain. I almost had to stop and sit down.

I don't know what the deal is. Why can't I be one of those people who just wakes up, throws their shoes on and goes?? I'm really, really frustrated and I don't know what to do. I would love to go to the doctor and see what they think but not having insurance kind of kills that idea.
I just want to be able to run and not hurt. Any tips/tricks/stretches/ideas would be so welcome.

Did I mention that I have a 5k race on Saturday? =o(

2 comments:

  1. Ah I'm not so useful for tips but keep in mind that running is so hard on our bodies. Keep at it and slow down if things start to hurt. Did you try googling for advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, nothing but tips on stretching and icing the sore area. I'm taking a couple days off before my race. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete