Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Food I am loving & our CSA

It's weird but ever since I decided to go Vegan, my taste buds have changed A LOT. I am now loving on foods that I recently hated. Examples enclude...

  • Bananas. I used to absolutely hate bananas. With a passion. Now I eat at least one a day. more like two. And I am loving them with a little bit of peanut butter smeared on the side. yumm.
  • Brussels sprouts. I think it was the way I used to cook them, but I always thought they were really gross. With kind of a burnt/sour taste. I have tried a couple different recipes and I have been won over! I love these little green guys.
  • Lentils. Seriously. You just have to get creative. Although I do like them plain with a little salt...there are TONS of recipes out there.
  • Sweet Potatoes. I think I always used to link sweet potatoes with the gross casserole that always made an appearance around the holidays, but I have changed my thinking because I would eat a sweet potato everyday if I could. I love to just slice them and throw them in the oven with a little coconut oil and then smother them in ketchup when they are sufficiently roasted.
  • Beans. All kinds. Except baked. Ask my mom, she will tell you I HATED beans growing up. And I still do loathe baked beans. But I am loving on every other kind. I love them in soup, salads, burgers you name it, I would probably eat it.
I am also finding I no longer crave certain foods. I can easily go without cheese, milk, yogurt even. Which is huge for me because before the switch I was eating yogurt almost every day.

On a slightly different note-

Eric and I are looking into getting a CSA from Ground works Organics Farm and I am really excited! I love going to the farmers market but sometimes it can be overwhelming with all the choices and all the different farms. The good thing about a CSA is you get whats in season right now at their farm. No thinking, no planning, you just go pick up your weekly box.

A 25 week long CSA is going to cost us $540. It seems like a big chunk of money but when you break it down it's only $21 and some change every week. I emailed the lady who runs the CSA and asked if it was enough produce for a family of two vegan/vegetarians and she said it easily was.

Anyways, I'm excited about it. Spring get here already! =o) Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment