Monday, October 4, 2010

Homeless

Tonight we volunteered at a homeless shelter.
What an experience.
We served them food and then had a mini devo afterwards.
I was and still am blown away by the evening.
I guess I have never had much contact with people that are homeless, besides seeing them on the street or hanging out by a shelter.
Tonight we got to say a few words to them, pray with them, sing with them, and sit near to them and just listen.
I came out of the shelter feeling so sad and blessed at the same time.

It was funny because while we were serving dinner, there were three types of people that would come through the line. The kind of person who said nothing. The kind of person who was angry that they didn't get more, and the kind of person who said thank you.

Then when we were having the closing prayer at the devo, they asked if there were any prayer requests. Here are some of them.

Pray that I can kick my drug addiction.
Pray that I can find a job.
Pray that I can get off of the street.
Pray that I can find my family.
Pray that I can get my son out of foster care.

Are you kidding me? I'm praying for a new bike, a new wardrobe, a new whatever...and they are just praying that they can figure out where their family is.
I was definitely put in my place tonight.

All of my life, I have judged people that live on the street. I figured if they really wanted, they could get a job. Or get a house, or a new life. That they just chose to live on the street.

I'm ashamed of myself.

Tonight, I am praying that God will soften my heart and help me to be thankful for what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment